Baby teeth start to grow in around 3 months and fall out between ages 6 and 12. The care of baby teeth is important in setting the stage for healthy adult teeth.
Have you ever noticed how bad your breath smells just as you wake up in the morning? What about after eating that garlic bread you had at dinner?
What if you have bad breath all the time?
It can be embarrassing living with chronic bad breath. Intimate social interactions are dreaded and the unpleasant diet limitations can make it difficult living a normal, healthy life.
At Madison Smile Solutions we know what it's like to step out of your comfort zone. Whether it's seeing the dentist or running your first race or Tri! We like to help our patient get healthy and feel confident and Tri 4 Schools helps our kids and schools. Please consider donating to help Kim and Tri 4 Schools!
People are attracted to other people who are happy and confident. One way you can boost your confidence is to give yourself a smile makeover. While there are different methods, veneers are a popular option. As one of the best places in Madison to get veneers, here are the top three reasons we recommend going this route.
1. They quickly fix your teeth.
Veeners are thin shells that are placed on top of your teeth, making them less intrusive than crowns, braces, or implants. This means they cover your teeth and create an all new look with a different shape, color, or length. If you are looking for a fast way to get whiter, perfectly shaped teeth, veneers are a great option. They can correct a lot of different cosmetic problems, such as:
· Stains and Discoloration
· Worn, dinged, and bulged surfaces
· Cracks and chips
· Fill in gaps
· Crooked, uneven, misaligned teeth
The process involves preparing the mouth with impressions. Only ½ millimeter of the tooth surface is shaved down after the area is numbed. To this area, the custom-made veneers are positioned. Once it looks perfect, a certain light beam is applied to activate chemicals in the special cement adhesive. This gives you a great new smile.
2. Long Lasting Results
Some of the options to fix your teeth require a lot of time to install or don’t last very long. Even though veneers are quick to apply, they are a wonderful long-term solution for making your smile great. Veneers are made of porcelain which have several long-term benefits, including:
· The coloring holds well and is stain resistant
· It gives a natural appearance that even reflects light similarly to natural teeth
· A hard and durable material that withstands force
· Less reaction when held next to gum tissue for long periods of time
Veneers have long lasting results. When you go this route to a better smile, you are making an investment. Many patients find that their veneers last up to 20 years.
3. Easy Maintenance
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry have released specific care instructions to help your veneers last as long as possible. You can help protect them by brushing and flossing like regular teeth. The only special instruction is that you don’t’ use an abrasive fluoride toothpaste because it can scratch the surface and dull your veneers.
While other cosmetic procedures require watching what you eat and drink to protect the beauty of your smile. With the porcelain veneers we use, there is no need to limit your habits because it is resistant to staining. Biting patterns don’t require change either. Even though the veneers are applied to the front surface of each tooth, you can eat and bite like normal without fearing they will break or come off.
An Investment in You
Veneers are a wonderful option if you are looking for a new and improved smile. Investing in your smile will increase your confidence, make you feel great, and completely change the way people perceive you. If you are interested in learning more, we are happy to discuss if this option is right for you.
Having great oral health means preventing more than just cavities and gum disease. Some dental health issues can lead to other problems that affect the patient’s quality of life. At our dental office in Madison, WI treat a variety obvious and less obvious dental issues that have a negative impact on our patient’s lives.
We are dedicated to providing exceptional service to our patients and strive to offer effective treatments for their dental issues. We believe that quality dental care is closely connected to overall health.
Our patients have access to the following dental services:
· Mercury Removal-We remove those ugly, potentially hazardous gray mercury fillings and replace them with more durable, safer and better looking tooth-colored ceramic ones.
· Orthodontics-One’s teeth may be healthy, but crooked. Crooked, crowded and misaligned teeth and jaws are not only aesthetically unpleasant, they can cause additional dental problems in the future. Braces are the most common orthodontic treatment. At Madison Smiles Solutions, we offer 6-month braces to our patients with mild teeth and jaw misalignment issues.
· Mouth Guards-Playing sports are great forms of exercise. They can, however, be dangerous to your teeth. Our dentist in Madison WI offers a range of mouth guards for sports. Once lost or broken, teeth are lost for good.
· Digital X-Rays- New dental technology makes x-rays quicker and less invasive. The digital x-rays also improve the accuracy of the reading more so than traditional dental x-rays.
· Sleep Apnea Therapy-Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that is caused by airflow constriction from the nose and mouth to the lungs. It is often accompanied by unpleasant snoring. At Madison Smiles Solutions, we offer treatment services and products specifically for the treatment of sleep apnea.
· Non-Surgical Therapy-At Madison Smiles Solutions, we try our best to treat each patient’s dental concern with the least invasive treatment possible. Surgery should be the last resort.
· Oral Cancer Screening-Oral cancer can be fatal if not diagnosed and treated promptly. With every six month dental check-up and tooth cleaning, patients get a complimentary oral cancer screening.
We Specialize in Senior Dentistry
Teeth get weaker as we age. They become brittle and discolored. Regular, adequate dental hygiene becomes more difficult. These are some of the reasons senior dentistry is important.
We specialize in the unique dental needs of seniors. Madison Smiles Solutions offers regular, gentle tooth cleanings and dental health exams as well as partial and full dentures.
Age-related dental changes often worsen dental issues for seniors. Many seniors suffer from dry mouth which can speed-up tooth decay, gum recession, and gum disease. Seniors often experience distorted taste or lose their ability to taste in extreme cases.
If you’re looking for a dentist in Madison, WI who offers a variety of dental services to treat your family’s dental needs, contact Madison Smile Solutions. We strive to make convenient for you to maintain great dental health.
As health care costs increase for many businesses, you many want to find out why and how using flex spending or HSA accounts can save you money when it comes to dental expenses. Dr. Kaveh Ghaboussi and team at Madison Smile Solutions can help you plan for the upcoming year and help you take advantage of your benefits.
By Dr. Kaveh Ghaboussi
Do you hate the look of your black fillings? Do you worry they may be related to some health issues? At Madison Smile Solutions we are a mercury-free dental office. We treat our each of our patients like family therefore we don’t place mercury fillings and we offer safety precautions when removing them. So many people have different views on if these types of filling are safe. In today’s tooth talk I’d like to educate you on the types of dental fillings available and the extra steps Madison Smile Solutions offers to you if interested.
What is dental amalgam?
Dental amalgam is a very strong and durable dental filling material. It is an alloy composed of a mixed powder of approximately 40% to 50% silver, tin, copper and, in some cases, smaller amounts of zinc, palladium or indium bound by up to 60% of elemental liquid mercury. Dental amalgam fillings are gray or silver in color and are sometimes referred to as silver fillings or mercury fillings. Many of our patients still have these types of fillings because they were the only type of filling available for many years.
What are the disadvantages of dental amalgam?
The disadvantages of dental amalgam as a restorative material include:
- Esthetics – Dental amalgam does not mimic tooth color and often changes color from silver to black.
- Sacrifice of healthy tooth structure – Removal of large areas of healthy tooth structure is required solely for adequate retention and strength of the dental amalgam.
- Weakening of the tooth – Dental amalgam expands over time and may lead to significant tooth fracture especially since dental amalgam is typically used in large load bearing areas.
- Higher incidence of thermal sensitivity – Metal is a good conductor of cold and heat to the nerve of the tooth.
- Set Time – Dental amalgams do not harden immediately. Patients should avoid chewing on newly placed dental amalgams for approximately 24 hours while the material reaches its maximum strength.
- Presence of bound elemental mercury and other metals – Concerns regarding toxicity and allergy are growing among patients.
Is dental amalgam safe?
Ever since dental amalgam was first introduced in the 1800’s there has been some concern regarding its safety. When dental amalgam fillings are placed in teeth or removed from teeth, they release mercury vapor. Mercury vapor is also released during chewing. Many people are concerned that this mercury vapor can cause a variety of health problems. I would not place this type of filling in my child or wife so I don’t offer them at my office.
Why I don’t place dental amalgam fillings?
1. My goal is to restore teeth to their most natural appearance. Tooth-colored fillings far more effective in accomplishing this objective.
2. Tooth-colored fillings do not require the removal of healthy tooth structure in order to ensure strength and/or retention.
3. Tooth-colored fillings may be repaired, where appropriate, while dental amalgams cannot. Repairs result in fewer traumas to the nerve of the tooth.
4. Large Mercury Amalgam fillings predispose teeth to fracture.
5. The tooth fractures caused by the expansion of Mercury Amalgam over time can be avoided by using alternative dental filling materials.
6. Many patients have concerns over the use of Mercury in dental filling material and I would not use it for my family members so I don’t place it on my patients either.
What are my Options for Fillings then?
Tooth-Colored Fillings (White Fillings) & Porcelain Restorations are better options for fillings in my opinion.
Tooth-colored fillings, also called white fillings, are dental fillings that restore and mimic the natural appearance of tooth structure. In addition to restoring teeth that have fractured or decayed, tooth colored fillings may also be used cosmetically to change the size, color and shape of teeth. This quality is particularly useful in closing gaps between teeth; repairing chipped teeth and making teeth appear to be more straight or even.
What are the advantages of tooth-colored fillings and porcelain restorations?
- They closely match natural tooth color and appearance.
- They bond to tooth structure chemically and thus do not require the placement of slots, grooves or pins in healthy tooth structure to mechanically retain them.
- The bonding of white fillings to the tooth restores 85% - 95% of the original strength of the tooth.
- They completely harden in seconds instead of days required by Mercury Amalgam fillings.
- Tooth sensitivity, if any, is rare and brief when it does occur.
- They may be used on front and back teeth without compromising esthetics.
- If damaged they can be repaired.
Should you have your Mercury Amalgam fillings removed?
The answer to this question will be different for each person. Although there is no scientific evidence that removing your amalgam fillings and replacing them with other dental filling materials will improve your health, many patients are eager to have the material removed from their mouths for health reasons anyway, or because they just don’t like the way it looks, and that’s ok. For some patients the peace of mind the Mercury Amalgam removal brings them is worth it. It makes intuitive sense to me that some people may have an allergic hypersensitivity to one or more of the metallic components however this has not been proven.
Are their Safety Precautions for Removing the Mercury Fillings?
We offer a Safe Mercury Removal Protocol for our patients. During this appointment we do everything on our side to prevent the absorption of mercury and assist with detoxifying.
- Room air purifiers
- Use a rubber damn to act as barrier
- Use a high volume suction to safely evacuate mercury vapor
- Provide oxygen as an alternative air source for the patient to breath
- Offer nutritional support and detoxification before, during and after amalgam removal
Call Madison Smile Solutions 608-227-7000and schedule your FREE Consultation or click here for more information.
By Dr. Kaveh Ghaboussi
Our daughter, Aubree, has only lost one tooth so far. Like most kids, Aubree has a funny story about how it was lost. Her tooth was so very loose but we were all excited for when she’d finally get it out. When she finally lost it we were at a hotel and she ended up swallowing it!!! Pretty funny for a dentist and hygienist’s kid, right? Anyway, at breakfast we noticed the tooth was missing and searched the bed with no luck! Luckily though the tooth fairy was very sneaky and somehow magically put a couple dollars under her pillow! So delightful!
Our daughter, Aubree, is now in Kindergarten. Her class has started losing teeth as the year progresses and it’s pretty exciting! Typically kids start losing teeth between 5 and 7 years old and then will continue to lose them until 10 or 11 years old. Recently, with all her friends losing teeth – we’ve been asked,
What’s the going rate for the tooth fairy?
Since we see a lot of kids at our office, we’ve continually ask parents and kids what they got from the tooth fairy. We’ve heard it all from some spare change up to $20!!! Delta Dental Insurance, which Madison Smile Solutions is a provider for, has conducted a poll since 1998 and the current rate is $3.91 per tooth. http://www.theoriginaltoothfairypoll.com/the-original-poll/ This webpage allows your house to enter in the amount given so they can keep track and also lists the rates around the world and has some other info on different traditions.
In many countries it’s a mouse versus a fairy that leaves a coin or prize. In other countries, instead of leaving your tooth under the pillow, you leave it in a glass of water, on the window sill, or in a slipper!!! I like to ask our patients from other countries what they did as kids and it is fun to learn the what their traditions are. One storyI’ve heard is that if you lose a bottom tooth you throw it on the roof so that the new one grows up and if you lose a top tooth you bury it so that the new tooth grows down.
If your fairy wants to win fairy of the year award, check out these cool coins from Jim’s Coins in the basement of Hilldale http://www.jimscoins.com/?gclid=CLqI8Iu-_8sCFVGAaQodJrUILQ. They have the most beautiful silver tooth fairy coin I’ve ever seen.
They also have some Packer, Badger and even Star Wars coins that are pictured here that may be a hit with your child.
Jim’s Coins also have coins from all different countries so that is a great opportunity to learn about different places. I’ve heard some fairies leave the exciting and unique $2 bill. Whatever the tradition, it is fun and a coming of age moment for kids.
At Madison Smile Solutions, we get so many questions as kids get older such as:
- My kid has another row of teeth coming in behind their first row?
- The new teeth look yellow – is the normal?
- Does it feel like when they are a baby? Does it hurt to have all those teeth coming in again?
- How can I get my kiddo to stop sucking their thumb/finger?
- How much are braces going to cost?
We are a parent-owned dental practice whether your age is 1 or 101 we love to see your smile and answering your questions. Click here to learn more about your child’s growth and development. Call for your appointment 608-227-7000. Also check out our Facebook page and let us know what the going rate at your house is!
Dr. Kaveh Ghaboussi
Over the last 15 years of improving smiles I've made a habit out of asking the question, "Why so you want to improve your smile?"
Usually people say the standard, "I don't like the way it looks", and then they go into the detail of what they don't like about their teeth. Sometimes people surprise me with the reasons they want to make a change.
Here are some of the reasons people give me for wanting to make a change:
- Not liking the way specific tooth/teeth look
- Not feeling confident because of how something looks or not wanting to smile in photographs.
- Not being able to clean effectively due to crooked teeth
- Not being able to clean effectively and/or smile due to many old, leaky, unaesthetic, fillings
- Teeth have been worn down excessively
- They desire to have a more youthful appearance
- They feel that their teeth/smile are holding them back at work/socially
- They feel that their teeth/smile don't match their persona/lifestyle
- To improve headaches/snoring
There are so many ways we can help people who want to make a change, and I always enjoy hearing the unexpected benefits people notice once their treatment is complete. It is not unusual for people to tell me that their dental improvement experience is life changing! They report improvements in confidence, social and work improvements and so much more - even when these things were NOT the original reasons for them to seek treatment in the first place! Do you think the gentleman on our website's home page www.MadisonSmileSolutions.com noticed that people treated him better once his teeth were fixed? He was so happy!
Patients are often surprised that we can work within their budget to make these dental improvements. If you know of anyone looking to make a dental/smile change then we would love to help them. Give us a call 608-227-7000.
It is so gratifying to be able to help people make a change that impacts their lives in such remarkable ways. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy being a dentist.
Dr. Kaveh Ghaboussi, DMD